July is Disability Pride Month – a time not only for individuals with disabilities to embrace and celebrate who they are, but for allies to show their continued support. As an association, we are proud to be comprised of hundreds of employers who go the extra mile to make their employees with disabilities feel equal and included through acceptance and accessibility. Earlier this month, Disability:IN announced its list of 2023 Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion, and we’re excited to share that 47% of the companies honored are DirectEmployers Members – nearly half!
This list was determined by the Disability Equality Index (DEI), a joint initiative between Disability:IN and the American Association of People with Disabilities. Through this benchmarking tool, employers receive a score of 0 to 100, with those scoring 80 and above earning a spot on the 2023 Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion list. This score is based on a wide range of criteria within six categories:
- Culture & Leadership (30 points) – Businesses commit to and demonstrate a sustained, visible cultural commitment to disability inclusion and demonstrate visible leadership commitment to disability inclusion throughout the organization.
- Enterprise-Wide Access (10 points) – Businesses commit to and demonstrate commitment to workplace accessibility.
- Employment Practices (40 points) – Businesses commit to and demonstrate commitment to benefits, recruitment practices, employment practices, and accommodation practices that fully incorporate and include individuals with disabilities.
- Community Engagement(10 points) – Businesses demonstrate public-facing engagement practices that celebrate and support individuals with disabilities.
- Supplier Diversity(10 points) – Businesses commit to and demonstrate supplier diversity practices that fully include and utilize disability owned, veteran–disability owned businesses and service-disabled veteran owned businesses.
- Non-U.S. Operations(Not Weighted) – Businesses commit to and demonstrate non-U.S. practices that fully incorporate and include individuals with disabilities.
The data is used not only to benchmark employers, but also to help establish insights that are then compiled into the Disability Equality Index Report for the good of the industry as a whole. Congratulations to the following DirectEmployers Members for earning recognition as a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion this year!
28 of the 65 companies earning a score of 90 are DirectEmployers Members:
17 of the 44 companies earning a score of 80 are DirectEmployers Members:
We’re proud of all our 1000+ Members and their efforts to further disability inclusion in the workplace and are honored to be a part of their journey toward fostering acceptance and belonging for all employees. If there’s anything we can do to help, don’t hesitate to reach out to your membership team! Interested in learning where your organization stands? 2024 Disability Equity Index registration opens this Fall so be sure to follow them on your favorite social media platforms to stay in-the-know!
- DE Talk Unplugged: The Top 10 Employment Law Issues That Affected Federal Contractors in 2023 - February 8, 2024
- DE Talk Unplugged | Navigating the AI Landscape in Recruitment Marketing - January 11, 2024
- DE Talk Unplugged | Embracing Generational Differences at Work - January 4, 2024